14.4.08

Ups and Downs

It's funny how sometimes things can be sooo great, and sometimes soooo terrible. Being inflicted with anger or despair is (personally) easier than feeling overwhelmingly happy about one thing and then extremely upset about another. The collision of emotions is almost unbearable. I sometimes feel as if school is my escape. Maybe that's why I cling on to it. Well, at least I have a lot of schooling ahead of me. It should get me through the intensely difficulties that lie ahead.
Don't worry. I'm not terminally ill, thank God. I am grateful for my health and the health of my friends and family. I am grateful we are not all starving or dying from disease. I appreciate the wonderful things I have all around me- the wonderful people.... However.. I hate money. I hate it so much that whenever I have it I just want to (quite literally) give it away. I want to spend it or put it on bills or give it to charity. ANYTHING so it does not burn a hole in my pocket. Come to think of it, there is probably some "dis-order" that says I have a phobia of money- I wouldn't deny it. I love spending money, I HATE having it. It makes me feel anxious and restless. It consumes my thoughts. So... Being a person that detests money more than the average student, BANG I am hit with a threat from a collections agency for $808.00. Wow. $808.00 from Nubody's. My membership was only $560.00 for an entire year for myself and Mike. We had paid up to the fifth month. Then, my hours got cut to virtually nil, Mike lost his job and was getting minimal hours from his Dad, and we were in a hard spot. We kept paying it for about a month after that, struggling to make sure the money was in the bank account (on several occasions, we couldn't get the money in time and ended up with a $40.00 fee from the bank plus an addition $20.00 for a late charge on the Nubody's account). Then one day Mike and I decided we'd go into Nubody's and try to discuss it with the person there in charge. We went in and talked to a man for about half hour. Before we went in I had no expectations of walking out of there feeling accomplished, but while we were in there the man gave us the impression that he was going to take care of it. He told us that if we have no money then really there is nothing else we can do... I explained our hard circumstances and he seemed sympathetic and understanding. He told me someone would give me a call in a week to let me know if there were any concerns, and I left it at that. I was under the impression he was taking care of it, and perhaps I'd get the last bill from the late charges I already owed and then it would be done. A week went by and no one called and the incident slipped completely from my mind. I guess I was waiting for a call to tell me if something was wrong, and it never came, so I was never concerned. Then a bit more than a month later I got an email from Nubody's, stating that I owed them $315.00, and if I didn't pay my membership would be canceled. Confused, I emailed back and told them I had been talking to a man at Nubody's and that he had assured me that I would be taken care of. I felt confident when I left which was unexpected to me but welcomed. The woman emailed me back telling me that just because I went and spoke to him doesn't mean it was canceled. I can understand this- it may not be easy to cancel a year-long contract- but I had been under the impression that I was to be called within a week if there were any concerns, and there was no call so I didn't worry. If I had've been aware that there was a growing debt, I would've been paying it (I've been working again recently). I feel as if I was deceived, and now I'm paying for it big time. I got a letter in the mail saying I now owe them $808.00. I can't understand why it's so high, because the membership wasn't even that expensive to begin with. I called the collections agency, and they said that it is going to the credit bureau tomorrow at 11:00am unless I pay it in full before then. So, I guess I'm going to have this scratch on my credit for the next 6 years (apparently). My dad told me not to worry.. That they'll just bug me a lot but they wouldn't take me to small claims court, so if he's wrong at least he can back me up. hhaa.. *nervous sigh*
I don't know what to do now. Already 90% of my checks is accounted for, with bills, rent, transportation, etc. I am paying off a VISA that I used when I was unemployed and really sick. It just seems like I am continually getting financially fucked over. There's no use in explaining all of the incidents on here, I just needed to vent about this one, but if ya only knew how much of this shit I've gone through. Especially with other people's errors or in some cases flat out intentional fuck-overs, I've been screwed out of thousands of dollars.

So. MUN in September. It's looking grim. I would feel more comfortable if I could take a semester off to save some money- I wouldn't have to get a student loan. However, I do not want to take time off school. I want to be there- it makes me happy. So what do I do? I don't want to always be stressed about money. There is MORE TO LIFE.


*****
I'm going to be Zen now. Take the good with the bad. Accept it as a part of life and a learning experience. Shove it up Nubody's fucking asses, and get over it. BUild a bridge.

*sigh*

No comments: