19.4.08

Brainstorming an Idea I Had

-Putting your problems into perspective, with the hopes of stepping back and taking a look, and learning to deal with problems in life without forgetting the positives.
-A scale (or multiple scales) which rate an individuals griefs on a scale.
-The scale is a personal scale. The high is what irritates you the most, what causes you the most grief, or what effects you the most negatively. Use examples to get juices flowing. (serious health problems, death, failure, poverty).
-The low is what irritates you, but only mildly. (Examples: spilling something, stubbing your toe, waiting in line).
-In between there is vast room for other things to be positioned. (Examples: getting a bad grade, breaking up with someone, needing surgery, etc, depending on how sensative (maybe find a better word than sensative) a person is to a particular subject. )
-Everyone's scale is different. What may be painful for some may not be for others. Certain things may affect certain people based on their past experiences.
-Purpose: to assess what irritates you or causes you grief in order to decide how you deal with it.
-Why? Because shit always happens in life and there's nothing going to change that (maybe a bit better worded..) It's all about how you DEAL with things which determines your level of contentedness.
-For the first time, and perhaps every so often as you change and grow, create a scale of all the great things in your life, rated from the one you value and enjoy the most to something that makes you smile. Then, you can use this to remind yourself that, despite things that may happen to cause you grief, there are still good things in your life that you need to focus on. (i believe focusing on the positive things will make a more positive outlook and attitude).
-Ethics: People need to understand that every scale is different for every individual, and that their feelings won't be compared to anyone else's.
-An everyday thing that people can do to deal with stress. (not a survey or interview)
-Everyday stress can also include things you are worried about in the present day that are actually occurring in the future.
-Scenario: I am really upset because I have encountered a somewhat expensive debt that I am not responsible for. I start to feel anxious and upset. I may blame myself or seek to blame others, and become overwhelmed and stressed out. If I have learned to assess my problem (based on my scale of things relevant to my life) than it may look like this:

I got an 83% on an English test (lowest mark yet). -1
I had a minor argument with my partner that was solved shortly after. -2
I didn't get the shifts I needed at work this week. -3
I got a sinus infection. -4
I have a $500 debt that I can pay in monthly installments of $40.-5
I have to take out a student loan soon. -6
I have to find an affordable apartment near MUN. -7
I think my partner may be moving away. -8

So, I've rated the things that are bothering me .There's no need to list all these every time.. These are just used as reference to show that what happened at this given time that's stressing me out (the unexpected debt) in the big scheme of things isn't my BIGGEST concern. It's not my smallest either, so how do I want to deal with it?


-Steps (to be altered with further discovery)...
-These steps might be different depending on the situation. Obviously you'd have to follow different steps when dealing with the lost of a loved one than you would if you had financial difficulties... but in general:
1. Search for available solutions.

2. Make a plan. Write it down.

3. Talk to your friends. Get it off your chest.

4. Take the proper actions to follow through with the suitable plan.

-Maybe research different professional self-help methods given by experts for individual stresses or situations... death, drinking, pregnancy, smoking, addiction, finances, business planning, etc etc..

-Provide resources to get access to these things ^^

-Changing perspectives. Putting into perspective how bad it really is. sometimes it's easy to avoid the grief by simply accepting that bad things happen and taking it all in stride.. (giving attention to serious situations when necessary)
-Think of the positive things to come out of it. "You Live You Learn"
-Failure is only failure when you fail to learn from it.


to be continued....

No comments: