29.4.08

Facilitator Interview # 4- Part two- RON

An email between Ron and I after he went through the list of ideas that was compiled on to our wheel.



On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 13:03:58 -0230, Linda Brown wrote...

1. How do you feel you can facilitate these changes?

2. What changes would you like to see? (Changes, improvements, enhancements, etc)

3. What would you like to see if ANYTHING was possible?

4.Do you disagree with anything (policies, rules, ways of doing things) at the Murphy Center?


5. Is voice- your personal voice, student voice, etc- important to you?

6. How do you feel about participants having a voice?

7. In what ways do you feel you assist youth in sharing their voice? In what ways would you like to help youth have more voice?


8. What obstacles do you see in regards to our discussion, and what solutions are there for those obstacles?

Okay Linda, I wll go down the list of questions you have a answer them as best I can!

1. I love the suggestions and I will support as always where ever and whenever I can.

2. Change I would like to see are as follows:

  • Exercise opportunites for young people and staff at least twice a week.
  • More open forum sessions to connect to Center philosophy
  • More attention to drug problems as in prevention of drugs on property and assistance with addictions
  • More opportunities for outdoor adventure experiences
  • Greater accountability and follow through regarding absenteeism

3. A group of students travel the world in a large sailing ship whereby they go to school part of the day and the rest of the time they work and explore the whole world....drug free and high on life! and me on board obviously!!!

4 Yes, I agree with plenty of things because we are obviously doing some things well such as creating a relaxed atmosphere, mutual respect philosophy, commitment to helping young people reach their goals, providing a safe environment and atmosphere for learning etc.

5. Yes, hence my comment about the open forum...best opportunity for that to come out...it was a big part of this place when I first came here and I loved it...for some reason we moved away from it.

6. I love it...it always works for me even if I don't personally agree with some aspet of it...that's democracy in it's truest form!

7. By being an open presence and helping to create a space where that is encouraged to blossom!

8. Basically the same old ones...time, money. I do think these can be overcome with creative energies working together...

and ....thank you for doing this...it was such a pleasure sitting a chatting with you...all the best Linda!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh ... I forgot something I wanted to say in my interview, which I was reminded of by reading Ron's sailboat fantasy. In my "if ANYTHING were possible -- money no object" categories, something I would really like to do is take a group of Murphy Centre students on a working trip to a developing country. I did this once with a group of high school students when I taught in Alberta -- we went to Dominica and repaired/painted homes for poor families. It was an amazing experience and I think it would be such a great experience for Murphy Centre participants -- to see more of the world and do something towards helping make it a better place. But that's in my "just a dream" category for now (although I was going to apply to Oprah's Big Give contest for money to do it, till I discovered you had to be a US resident!!!)