22.4.08

Brainstorming on Enrichment.

I had a new idea. Something I failed to realize.

Advances courses!! AP Psychology, as an INDEPENDENT! I know it sounds radical. But hear me out. When I was in high school I took AP Psychology. I was interested in it, AND it was a university credit course. I studied hard because it interested me and I went to some classes. I dropped out of school with only three months left. I came back to write my exam and I got an 85 in the course. If there were advances courses, enrichment, or some kind of post-secondary pre-course it would benefit greatly to the population of people who could use it. It could be independent. There could also be pre-nursing, advanced writing, advanced sciences, advances math, introduction to law, etc. Perhaps if you offered these courses you would require a fee, and therefore be able to collect some money to go towards the function of the centre. I never even realized, but the things that I need are things like these. I could relate to peoples issues with the school and certainly understand them, but I didn't exactly need the changes like they did. What I do need is more opportunity, more choice, more leadership, and ultimately, more opportunities for success.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a good point. I find it interesting that we cater to such a diverse group at the Murphy Centre, people who need remedial help but on the other extreme people who would really benefit from things like AP courses ... I would so teach AP English if given the chance.

Linda B said...

And it would be different every term if you teach it or not depending on if people sign up so there is room to also do other things. And it would keep those people who participate in it active and they won't get bored with their work (like i do!)