18.5.08

Updating

I've been checking out volunteer opportunities on different websites and stuff. I really want to dedicate some time and effort to the community. I got a reply from The Love of Learning program they offer at Gower Street United Church. They have a teen art program that they need volunteers for, right in my ballpark! (and neighborhood). My life has been very stressful lately. I want to find a job that I enjoy and that allows me to contribute to a higher goal, instead of just catering to the wants of upper class, unappreciative people. I have culinary skills (and good ones at that) but I have so much more potential to make this world a little better, and I feel like I'm wasting time. The Cellar has taught me good organization skills, how to work with others, great work ethic, responsibility, and lots and lots of other things, but I think I've reaped from it what I can, and I need to move on. When I mention this to my Dad, however, he disagrees. I've decided to just go ahead and do things, and let him know when the time comes, instead of trying to run it by him beforehand. He's just going to have to suck it up like a big boy.

Does anyone have any creative ideas for making money? I want to utilize this summer to save as much as I possibly can, so when the fall semester comes around I can be less stressed.

I wonder if I have to take a full-course load to qualify for a (good) student loan/grant.

Hmmm??? *ponders*

3 comments:

TrudyJ said...

I don't think you need a full course load to qualify for a loan/grant -- maybe 3/5 courses? Again, this is something Kim could tell you.

The Love of Learning program would be such a great fit for you -- they do some terrific work!!

Linda B said...

The lady who runs it (or man, I can't remember), emailed me and said they would call me today but I think they didn't realize today was a holiday, so hopefully I'll hear from them tomorrow!
I know they are a teen art program, but do you know any specifics on what they do??

Anonymous said...

They've done a bunch of things -- I know last year (year before?) they produced a play about homeless youth that the youth in the group had written themselves. They have a lot of projects on the go.