3.6.08

Discovery Days

Wow. What a day.

I had to cancel lunch with my Nanny (sorry Nan) because Ann McCann called me wondering if I would please go to a conference with her today. I said yes, as it had to do with research and funding and stuff, and when i went I had such a great time. I walked into a fancy conference room at the Ramada, had a nice lunch, and sat with a table of very wonderful people. Some were social workers, educators, and other professionals who were interested in the wellbeing of children and youth. Hosted by Kathy LeGrow (nee Pratt), it was a meeting to discuss an upcoming foundation that is to be established called the Pratt Foundation. Kathy and her family have decided to create this foundation to fund research directed towards children and families at risk in NL. It was so interesting and every single person had something different to bring to the table. Ann and I put forth our ideas from the perspective of an alternative learning facility, there was a lady there who worked in Foster Care, a woman who worked with children with extensive mental needs, a retired teacher, a lawyer, etc etc. Each person brought their experience and their knowledge to the table and it was all around really wonderful. There was another youth there that i knew from before and we actually saw each other at the mall after and talked more about our meeting. I have so many ideas and contributions to put forth but it's all so overwhelming. Education was a big topic of discussion as well as family violence and drugs/alcohol. All, of course, co-exist.

Then after this I had my first shift with my new job- selling home security systems. the other new guy and I were there with the boss and we were going door to door to try to sell security systems. I was skeptical at first but I figured I'd give it a shot and it would be a learning experience more than anything. When Zach (the other new guy) and I got to talking my suspicions came to light and we ended up discussing what a scum bag and scam artist our boss was, and decided it definitely wasn't for us. lol. Oh well I gave it a shot, and I might do it again, but I'm definitely not overly concerned about it. And, I made a great new friend (Zach) who I hope I'll get to see more of! He's gay, so hahahahah I feel more comfortable around him (I get along better with gay guys) and he's going for Med School so it's refreshing to meet someone who's interested in similar things that I am.

I start volunteering at Glenbrook Lodge on Sunday, assisting residence back and forth from morning mass. I am so excited. I can't wait to actually begin to do some good in the world. Not that working at the Cellar isn't a contribution to society, but I want to do something for the good of humanity. I can't wait !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Ann for bringing me to the conference. I hope I can be more involved in what Kathy wishes to pursue..

Softball tomorrow morning with school! Should be a laugh and a half. Off tomorrow so I'll be studyingggg a lot. And then work Thursday, POTLUCK Friday and work Saturday. A pretty fulfilling week if I do say so!

No comments: